Yorkshire terriers can be very finicky eaters. If your Yorkie is a picky eater you will want to make sure that she is getting the proper nutrition. Here are some things to watch out for when feeding your Yorkshire terrier:
· If you have had your Yorkie since she was a puppy you are already familiar with her eating habits. On the other hand, if you get an adult dog as a pet, you may not know the eating history of your pet.
· Ask your veterinarian about what should be feeding your Yorkie. Your vet will be able to look at your dog’s history and determine which foods are best.
· Avoid feeding her canned food exclusively. Soft food will weaken your dog’s teeth and lead to tooth loss. Dogs that lose too many teeth have a greater chance of becoming malnourished. If you are using canned food, be sure to mix it with dry food so that your Yorkshire terrier will be able to chew and maintain good dental health.
· Be very careful about giving your dog human food from the table. There are many foods that can make your Yorkie sick, causing vomiting, diarrhea, and allergic reactions. It’s nice to give your pets a treat now and then, but resist the urge to share your food with your pet.
· Maintain a strict schedule for feeding your dog. Dogs are like children in that they crave structure and consistency. Decide if you will feed your Yorkie once or twice a day, what time you will give her the food, and then stick to this schedule. Allow a set amount of time for her to eat and then remove the food dish. Fifteen minutes should be long enough for her to eat as much as she wants. Do not leave food out throughout the day. If you have more than one dog, be sure to feed them separately.
These are some tips on feeding your Yorkshire terrier. Training your Yorkie will help to ensure a pleasant experience for both you and your pet.
Connie Ragen Green is an official dog lover. To find out more about training small and toy dogs such as Yorkshire Terriers and Maltese visit http://www.YorkshireTerriersAretheBest.com